Delani’s surprise visit…
Our good friend Delani decided to pop up from Tuscon for a surprise visit last week. While she was here we shared dinner, wine, great conversation and she helped with some morning chores…she even learned how to milk a goat. I must say for her first time milking she sure did a fine job and picked up the task rather quick! Needless to see the milk is flowing and many yummy things will soon be concocted!
Prior to Delani’s arrival Laura and I purchased a 2qt Cuisinart Ice Cream maker (got it for a deal at Williams-Sonoma). We made our first batch of goat’s milk ice cream this past Saturday (from Delani’s hardwork) and I must say it turned out rather well! The only thing that I would want to change is to make it even creamier texture.
Recipe for Vanilla-chip Goat’s milk ice cream:
6cups raw goat’s milk
6 egg yolks
1cup honey (this actually could be reduced to I 1/2 cup)
2TBS pure vanilla extract (you could use vanilla beans, but hey we are on a budget here)
1. warm the milk to just barely a simmer.
2. while the milk is warming, mix the egg yolks with the honey, whisk together
3. add the warmed milk to the egg and honey mixture, do this slowly as to not cook the egg/honey mixture.
4. add 2TBS vanilla extract
5. place mixture in the fridge to chill (the longer the better)
6. once mix is chilled pour into the ice cream maker and turn it on!
VOILA! 20 mins later you have ice cream!